Sunday 28 August 2011

Family Snapshots

Fragments strike fear into my heart, and it's because I always get into a mess with them. Too much glue, air bubbles, cat fluff caught between the fragment and the image (one of the joys of having two very helpful and artistic ragdoll cats who think fluff is the perfect embellishment for every occasion), so, with said cats banished from the room it's time to have another go.  Grungy Monday Challenge Number 21 over at  Studio L3 is all about fragments this week.  And as directed by the lovely Linda I have paid a visit to Mr Holtz's blog and his fab ideas for using Fragments which can be found there.
Here is my family tree, ( thank goodness they are not really my relatives because  Great Grandma and Auntie Joan in particular look rather scary).


I 've used a Wendy Vecchi Art Part frame which is covered with some Shabby Chic paper and inked with Antique Linen DI plus some splats in Antique Linen and Weathered Wood Distress Stains (they are such fun to do), the tree is by Wendy Vecchi and stamped in Coffee Archival Ink.  The outer frame is sanded and inked around the edges with Vintage Photo DI.  


I only had a few Fragments left , so thought I'd better avoid the etching technique until I've got more to play with as I know that I would probably melt quite a few before I got it right, so I used Alcohol Inks on Great Grandma, and somehow these are not quite right, but my technique was better by the time I got to the Family Tree fragment at the bottom of the frame.

Elsie is a packing tape transparency, how cool is that technique, I love it, it's like magic when the paper rubs away to reveal the image, her name and a little bit of spotty paper are sandwiched between the transparency and some sticky back canvas. 

The words are computer generated using an old typewriter font, and all the vintage images that I've used are from Tumblefish Studios, and,  just in case any of my family see this, none of you are quite as scary as Auntie Joan!

9 comments:

Daniele said...

what a lovely piece of art, would be rather fun to do your own tree as well, I hate using too many fragments.....cost thing rather than a fear thing but they do look effective. I bet cat fluff makes an interesting background
hugs

Patricia said...

WOW what a BEAUTIFUL project!!!!
And what a nice idea it's very inspiering!!!!!
Greetz Patricia

Helen said...

Love your 'family' tree! You could have discovered a whole new effect with the cat hair though - let Tim know!

Netty said...

Terrific idea to make a family tree of fragments. Loving this. Enjoy your week, Annette x

Artyjen said...

Fun fun fun piece.....I'm so glad Auntie Joan is not my relative either!!! HOL
xoxo Sioux Hugs

Brenda Brown said...

This is a fabulous piece Sue. I love the vintage/shabby look you have achieved and the 'family' look fabulous under the fragments.
luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

Sherry Goodloe said...

Love your family tree tag!

Terry said...

Yes, you are just brilliant with your use of fragments! I love your family tree! This is the first time, I did not get more of the glue on me than the fragment!

Jennie Atkinson said...

Fantastic use of the TH techniques for fragments. Just brilliant!